Whether you identify as a marketing strategist, professional animator, or animation devotee, the knowledge and insights provided by these statistics will offer a novel outlook on the constantly changing and dynamic realm of animation.
Animation, being one of the most adaptable and imaginative modes of visual narrative, has captivated audiences worldwide, transcending age and cultural boundaries.
Animation has been reshaping the ways in which we interact, entertain, and communicate since its inception in film and television and its expansion into digital marketing and video games.
Computer-generated animation comprised an estimated 85 percent of the animation market in 2022, according to our top choices. The market for 3D animation is anticipated to surpass $50 billion by 2025, expanding at a CAGR of 11%. In 2023, over sixty percent of the world’s animators were employed in the film and television industries. Through the use of sustainable animation techniques, animation studios are able to reduce carbon emissions by 50 percent.
By 2026, 50 percent of animation studios will be hosted in the cloud, thereby reducing the expenses associated with physical infrastructure and facilitating remote collaborations.
The aforementioned statistics serve to illustrate noteworthy patterns within the animation sector. The dominance of computer-generated animation demonstrates the pervasiveness of digital techniques. The anticipated expansion of the market for 3D animation is indicative of the rising desire for immersive experiences. The substantial employability of animators in the film and television industries underscores the importance of these sectors. The adoption of eco-friendly practices by animation studios demonstrates their dedication to sustainability. The adoption of cloud-based workflows signifies a rise in remote collaboration and a decrease in expenses.
These statistics demonstrate the industry’s capacity to adjust to changing work practices, technological advancements, market demands, and sustainability. The worldwide animation sector is constructing a dynamic and constantly changing environment through the use of shapes and colors that represent a universal language.
Over the years, the worldwide animation industry has undergone a phenomenal transformation, captivating audiences and influencing the entertainment landscape on a global scale. Animation, which was previously predominantly linked to children’s cartoons, has since broadened its scope to incorporate a multitude of genres, such as feature films, television shows, video games, advertising, and immersive experiences.
Animation’s Global Evolution – Changing the Entertainment World
- In 2022, the worldwide animation sector was estimated to be worth around $259 billion.
- Based on authoritative forecasts, it is anticipated that the amount will significantly increase to $375 billion by 2027, exhibiting an extraordinary compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.2% during the period spanning 2022 to 2027. This prognosis emphasizes the considerable expansion potential that the sector will experience throughout the specified timeframe.
- North America, which held the largest market share, accounted for about 35% of the total revenue in the global animation industry in 2022.
- In contrast, the Asia-Pacific region, with a specific focus on countries such as South Korea and Japan, is projected to surpass North America in terms of market growth velocity by 2026.
- Japan maintains a prevailing position on the Asian market, exerting control over an approximate 45% share and solidifying its status as the frontrunner in the region.
- The market valuation of the 3D animation segment was recorded at $120 billion in 2022. Projections indicate that the industry will maintain a consistent growth trajectory over the forecast period, expanding at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.5%.
- Despite its slower growth rate, the 2D animation industry is still holding onto a sizable market share, thanks primarily to television shows and web animation content.
- The largest end-user segment of the animation industry in 2022 will be the media and entertainment sector, which will account for nearly 60% of the total market. Predicted to attain a valuation of $375 billion by 2027, the worldwide animation sector is expanding at an astounding rate of $259 billion in 2022. As North America leads with a 35% revenue share, Asia-Pacific, particularly Japan and South Korea, exhibits remarkable growth and has the potential to overtake North America by 2026. With Japan holding a 45% market share in Asia and the 3D animation segment expanding at a CAGR of 8.5%, the industry is a beacon of innovation. The media and entertainment industry’s nearly 60% share of the animation market demonstrates the sector’s potential as a source of creative expression and economic growth.
- In 2022, animation in the video game industry accounted for about 25% of the overall market.
- The market for animation in e-learning and simulation is anticipated to reach $20 billion by 2027.
- Global animation employment is projected to increase from its current level of approximately 2 million in 2022 to 2.5 million by 2027.
- In the United States, the mean yearly wage of an animator was estimated to be around $75,000 in 2022.
- In 2022, approximately fifty percent of all animated films produced worldwide originated in North America.
- Nonetheless, the animated film that grossed the most in 2022 was produced in Japan. The worldwide box office earnings for One Piece film Red amounted to $246,570,000, which ranks it as the fourth highest-grossing anime film of all time, the largest anime film of 2022 overall, and the most successful theatrical release ever for One Piece!
Industry analysts have projected an impressive compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.5% from 2022 to 2027, indicating robust demand for animation software. The aforementioned forecast underscores the considerable growth potential of the industry, indicating auspicious prospects for market expansion and development.
- Production of animated television has increased by 4% per year since 2020.
- Animated film box office receipts as a collective in 2022 amounted to roughly $21 billion.
- Streaming services such as Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney+ constituted approximately 30% of the total consumption of animated content in 2022.
- Disney emerged as the preeminent animation studio on a global scale in 2022, amassing $12 billion in revenue exclusively from animation.
- As of 2022, Pixar movies have on average made more than $800 million worldwide.
- By 2027, the valuation of the Virtual Reality (VR) animation market is projected to increase from $5 billion in 2022 to $15 billion.
- In 2022, more than sixty percent of animation content was viewed on digital platforms. Revenue in millions ($) for the ten highest-grossing animated films of all time: Incredibles 2, The Lion King, Finding Dory, Frozen II, Shrek 2, Toy Story 4, Toy Story 3, and Frozen The Secret Life of Pets: Despicable Me 2; $605.58M; $543.63M; $486.3M; $477.37M; $441.23M; $434.04M; $415M; $400.13M; $368.38M; and $368.06M, respectively.
- With a valuation exceeding $20 billion in 2022, the animation sector in China ranked as the second most significant market in Asia.
- In 2022, the French animation sector will comprise approximately 20% of the total European animation market.
- Global production of animated feature films increased by 20% between 2018 and 2022.
- In 2022, computer-generated animation comprised roughly 85 percent of the animation market.
- Although stop-motion animation accounted for less than 5% of the market, its growth was attributed to the increasing interest of independent filmmakers.
- It is projected that the augmented reality (AR) sector within the animation industry will attain a significant milestone in 2027, when its valuation reaches $10 billion. The aforementioned forecast denotes a significant trajectory of expansion and prospective prospects within the augmented reality animation sector.
- Approximately 15% of all advertisements utilized animation in 2022. Recent years have witnessed substantial expansion and change in the worldwide animation sector as a result of technological advancements, shifting consumer preferences, and increased accessibility, among other factors. ICTs such as the Internet of Things, cloud computing, and mobile solutions are at the forefront of a paradigm shift in the production and consumption of animation. The animation market is a dynamic and continuously developing sector that has experienced consistent development. Technological advancements and the rising global demand for top-notch animated content across various platforms have significantly accelerated this trajectory.
Curious About Animation as a Career?
Pursuing a profession in animation grants access to a domain where innovation and technology harmoniously converge. The animation sector is highly dependent on innovation, perpetually striving to expand its limits in order to produce enthralling environments and indelible personas. As you immerse yourself in the craft and artistry of animation, you can anticipate becoming a part of a dynamic environment teeming with prospects.
If you too want to make a bright career in this ever-growing industry, you will have to join a proper animation training institute. We suggest one of the best animation training institutes, CGEduversity Pune, Maharashtra. The institute is equipped with modern facilities for students. The latest software and highly trained faculty members are always committed to building a bright future for the students.
The institute runs both degree and diploma courses in almost all the important fields of animation and VFX. In addition, short-term certificate courses are also available.